Saturday, March 13

"HB"


When I was a little girl, I remember my mother would often make hard-boiled eggs and save them in a bowl in the refrigerator. She then used them in a variety of ways in order to make sure her five little chicks would eat them. My favorite was her egg salad sandwiches!

Before tucking them into their new nest to chill, my mother would take out a pencil and write "HB" on each egg. For the longest time, I just assumed she wrote the first letter of my father’s name, “H,” for Hermann, and then the first letter of her name, “B,” for Barbara. It all made perfect sense to me as a little girl trying to put the pieces together in this wonderful world. I never once challenged my assumption at the time. Not until later……much later, I am afraid to admit, did I realize that my mother was simply writing “HB” on the eggs to indicate that they were in fact, “Hard Boiled.” I still smile to myself every time I take out my pencil and write “HB” on my hard-boiled eggs. I love you Mom!

1 comment:

  1. H and B, that's a story I haven't heard before.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a word or two. I would love to hear from ya!