Tuesday, November 22

a cave and a swing

As the cold settles into November and the sun slips out of sight earlier and earlier each evening, I begin to wander and search for a cave like a fluffy, little bear. The cold makes me desperately want to hibernate. Around two o’clock, I want nothing more than to take a nap and snuggle deep under covers in a dark, quiet room, for a long, long time.

Alas, at two o’clock, I have, what seems to be – two “spring chickens” hatching and flapping their wings, hunting for ways to burn off energy.

So, I bought a swing.

A swing for inside.

I know…inside?

We are fortunate enough to have a basement and I have had my eye on this IKEA swing for several years.
I finally bought one and attached it to the steel I-beam in the basement.

The boys love it. The cousins love it. My kitchen floor loves it. I love it! After a full week my husband loves it!

Now, on a rainy day, the little ones can burn off that energy constructively.

It is nice to hear them laugh and giggle downstairs and negotiate whose turn it is and how many minutes they get this time.
They have of course come up with one safe game – throw the “yarn sea urchin” at the person on the swing. And because they are boys; the unsafe game – throw-the-cool-paper-airplane-that-‘only-Grandpa-can-make’ at the person on the swing.
What is the saying…."It’s only fun and games until someone loses an eye!" well, I’ll keep you posted.

And I will leave you with a song my mother used to sing to me when she pushed me on a swing.


A swing, a swing is the best of fun,
For taking a ride in the sky.

You need no engine for a ride,
Just give a push and away you go,

Look out below,
Away you go,
You’re taking a ride in the sky.


I still sing it to my boys!

Now for that cave…..



my spring chickens


my grandmother and her pet bear

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave a word or two. I would love to hear from ya!