Saturday, April 28

I politely disagreed


my mom's glasses she wore in college

My public speaking course is over and I have to say
 I am glad I signed up and took the classes.

It was a low commitment in time and money and yet,
at the same time, it was a high commitment in stress,
 personal expectations and comfort.
  I could have backed out or not showed up
for the final class where we were to deliver
 a prepared, five minute speech.
A lot of people surprisingly did not show up
for the final class.  To be honest, that thought did
 cross my mind for a brief second
 but I simply pushed past it.

 Was I nervous? Yes.
Was it uncomfortable? Yes.
Did it kill me? No.
Did I learn a lot? Yes.
Would I do it again? YES!!!

As you may know, a teacher can make or break a class.
 This teacher was excellent and I immediately
knew it would be a great class  when he said,
 “I want to show you a video on TED.com.”
 His teaching was clear and purposeful,
 and he was engaging and positive.  

I learned a lot, met some great people
 and have already incorporated some of this new
 found knowledge into my everyday activities.
 I have used some of the concepts
 when I am teaching my boys here at home,
 relaying information to my husband
and recently in some social settings. 


My boys, all three of them, were excited to hear
what I learned in class.
  It was great to see their excitement and support.

Over the weekend, the family went to a birthday party
 and someone overheard that I took a public speaking class.
 They rolled their eyes and told me they took one years ago
 and hated their class but had to
 take it because it was mandatory.
 I mentioned that I elected to take this class on a whim
 to challenge myself and for personal growth.
 
The older woman chuckled at me and said,
 “Oh, you’ll change as you get older!”

I politely disagreed.

I see myself as a student of life.
 As long as I am alive,
 I want to push myself to
 learn new things,
 stretch and grow

and, most of all,

 pass on to others what I have learned.



Now...who is up for some skydiving?


***



{{I would love to hear how you have pushed
 yourself to learn new things!}}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave a word or two. I would love to hear from ya!